Friday, February 24, 2012

Heart Faith Vs Head Faith

I love travelling. There is something about flying that has amazed me from the time I was a child. I can remember my first flight as clearly as if it happened yesterday. It was a flight from Los Angeles to Sacramento to visit my elder brother Charles when I was about 10 years old. Back then, the airlines assigned a flight attendant to sit with minor children on flights when they flew alone. What I remember most about the flight was the pain in my ears from the change in altitude. At the time, I had no idea what the cause of the pain was, I just remember it being excruciating. I remember talking with the flight attendant in the seat next to me, I remember hearing the other passengers around me talking and I remember the sound of the jet engines on the plane.

Then as we began our decent into Sacramento, something weird happened. When we reached a certain altitude my ears "popped". At least that's what the flight attendant called it. Then all of a sudden I could hear a lot clearer. The strange thing about this experience is that I wasn't aware of the fact that my hearing was distorted until my ears popped and I was able to hear clearer.

I thought that my hearing was fine, but in actuality my hearing wasn't as sharp as it should have been due to the change in cabin pressure on the plane.

I compare this ear popping to what happens to us as God's Word moves from our minds into our hearts. Anyone can hear a verse of scripture, read a verse of scripture or quote a verse of scripture. In our studies, we may be hearing and same verse or dealing with the same biblical principle that we've been hearing for quite some time, but one day it becomes more real in our hearts than ever before. One day the Word finally sinks down into your spirit, and when that happens, you no longer know of the verse or the principle... you know it. It's hard to explain, but when this happens, you become more convinced than ever before that the verse, Word, or scripture is real on a different level than before it sank down into your heart.

The only way to get God's Word from your mind down into your heart is to meditate on it. God tells Joshua in Chapter 1 verse 8 that if he meditated in the Word day and night the results would be that he would make his way prosperous and that he would have good success (Joshua 1:8). Psalm 1:3 tells us that this same type of meditation in God's Word would cause whatever we do to prosper. The bible is filled with scripture telling us the positive results that can be obtained by meditating... getting the Word of God from our minds down into our hearts.

If you've never experienced the renewed strength that comes from meditating in God's Word, I encourage you to find several scriptures and write them down. Find scriptures that deal with challenges you may be facing in your life right now and spend some quiet time alone with God. When your mind begins to wonder bring it back to the scriptures you're meditating on. Do this long enough for those verses to sink down into your heart, and you will find that once God's Word becomes engrained on your heart you will feel a sense of power and strength that is world over coming!

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/7184930

No comments:

Post a Comment